Gluten-Free Baking Tips (print this out and hang this up in your kitchen so you don’t forget)
When baking anything:
- Always measure the ingredients and follow the instructions as closely as possible! Measuring imprecisely or adding extra steps to the recipe could cause the pastry to form incorrectly.
- Use xanthan gum, (unless the all purpose flour already contains xanthan gum)! Xanthan gum helps mix liquids better together. It also increases the volume and the fluffiness of your baked goods.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and the wet ingredients together. Then combine the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredient mixture.
When baking bread:
- It is good practice to line your bread pan with parchment paper and extend it beyond the top of the pan. This allows the bread to rise above the pan without spillage and this will create a fluffier and lighter bread.
- Using the correct amount of water is critical; it determines how “spring-y” your bread will be. Too little water will result in less spring in the bread while too much water will make the bread too moist.
- Add dough enhancer to your bread dough to improve the texture.
- If you are not using a bread machine, heat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit while making the dough so that the oven will be warm when it’s time to let the dough rise.
When making cookies or muffins:
- Use an ice cream scooper, sprayed with cooking spray, to drop cookie batter or muffin batter onto a cookie sheet or into muffin cups.